Saturday, March 30, 2013

simple series 05


simple series 05: Pimp yo' wall 

Recently, I've been obsessed with decorating my apartment. So here is a little something I decided to do on my blank wall. 


Materials Needed: 


1. Frames! I thrifted about 10 frames for $5 at my local Salvation Army. I feel like the worker didn't want to scan all of them in, so I got a really good deal on them. Some had pictures I liked -- I didn't de-frame the pictures. Like the tiger picture. 

2. Chalkboard Paint - I have the Martha Stewart one. I think it was less than $10 for the bottle. Just a tip -- Get the spray paint type. It's easier. You will need a paint brush if you have what I have. 

3. Old picture book pages. I bought some books from a local hand me down book store at $4.99/lb. I tore out the pages and framed the poems/pictures I liked. I saw them selling pages like this at $1/page -- a little more work will save you moolla. 

4. Command Tabs! These are awesome for renters or people like me who don't want to deal with hammers and nails. -- $3-6/pk. 

Step 1: 


Here you can decide to frame the pages or make chalkboard frames or even put in original artwork! 

Step 2: Framed Chalkboards 


Usually most frames come with a cardboard bit to help keep the glass in place. I tried painting on glass and on others I used the cardboard. The cardboard is BY FAR a lot easier to use with chalk later on. If your frame doesn't have a cardboard bit. It's worth it to cut up a box to size to fit. 

You can just but the glass behind the cardboard when you put the frame back together. 

YOU will need 2 LAYERS of paint. Let it dry according to the instructions. 

FINAL Step: 

Use the command tabs OR nails and a hammer to put the frames on the wall. 

EL Fin! 


No comments:

Post a Comment